General FAQs | Disney Cruise Line
A-Z Disney Cruise Line FAQ
While adult guests ages 21 and older may bring alcohol onboard, the following guidelines apply:
- Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area.
- Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.
- Beverages must be packed in your carry-on bag—which must not exceed 22 inches wide, 14 inches high and 9 inches deep in dimension
- Coolers filled with personal items (e.g. soda, alcohol, chips, candy, etc.) may not be brought on board.
Please note: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from checked luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.
The drinking age aboard ship is 21. Valid photo I.D. is required. Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service to anyone. 18-20 year olds need to travel with a parent or legal guardian to be able to consume or purchase alcohol on the European round-trip cruises. In recognition of the expectations of our multi-national guests, for roundtrip cruises departing from European countries, where the legal drinking age is lower than 21, a parent or guardian who is sailing with his or her son(s) and/or daughter(s) and/or ward(s) who is between the ages of 18 and 20, may sign a beverage consent form allowing the 18 to 20 year old to purchase alcoholic beverages while in their presence onboard. Parents or guardians may complete the beverage consent form in the Guest Ticket Booklet or inquire about the consent form at check-in. Please note: The 18 to 20 year old must comply with all laws and Disney Cruise Line policies related to the consumption and distribution of alcohol in Europe, including among other things, agreeing to not provide alcoholic beverages to any other person, regardless of age. This policy is subject to change without notice.
Aqua Duck Height Restrictions
The AquaDuck is a thrilling "water coaster," available only on the Disney Dream/Disney Fantasy- a cruise industry first. Guests are propelled at high speed through an acrylic tube on a breathtaking journey up, down, around and off the side of the ship, through the Forward Funnel and—following a mammoth drop—into a lazy river. It was designed for adults and children at least 4 ft 2" or taller. Single riders must be at least 5 ft 4" or taller. Children under 7 must ride with someone 14 years of age or older, provided the child is at least 4 ft 2" tall.
AquaDunk is a thrilling, 3-story body slide that plummets at high speeds when the floor beneath you opens up like a trap door and propels you through a 212-foot-long translucent tube—which curves 20 feet out over the side of the ship—to an unforgettable splashdown. Towering nearly 37 feet above the ocean and decks below! The United States Public Health Service requires that only children who are toilet trained are permitted to enter swimming pools and spas aboard cruise ships.
Other important information:
- Guests must be at least 48" or taller to ride.
- Guests should be in good health and free from heart conditions, back and neck problems, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this attraction.
- Expectant mothers should not ride.
- Please note that the slide's entry capsule may prohibit Guests of certain body shapes or sizes from riding and may not operate for Guests or those weighing more than 300 lbs. from participating.
- Clothing with rivets, buckles and exposed metal, as well as loose articles, such as phones and cameras, are not permitted on this attraction.
Operating hours are likely to vary, so once you're onboard, check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—for the most accurate operating times.
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (Disney Fantasy)
Guests ages 3-12 can feel like a Disney Princess or Royal Knight in this magical boutique owned by the Fairy Godmother and operated by Fairy Godmothers-in-Training. Guests can consider such playful options such as hair styles, nail colour, make-up and a total package including a Disney Princess costume, unique Disney Fantasy costumes and fun accessories.
On pirate party nights, Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique transforms into The Pirate League, a swashbuckler's hideaway where Guests ages 3 and up can get ready for the pirate life.
Packages are not gender specific; therefore any Guest within the age range guidelines on each package may pre-reserve a makeover.
Packages start at $15.95. Guests sailing on the Disney Fantasy who are paid-in-full and within their pre-reserve window are able to reserve Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique packages online at disneycruise.com under 'Planning centre and select My Cruise Activities'. Guests will also have the option to make reservations for Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique once onboard.
Disney Cruise Line guests are eligible to become a member of Disney Cruise Line’s Castaway Club after their first sailing! Becoming a member gives guests access to a range of benefits on 6 future sailings. Please note that Castaway Club benefits are subject to change. Silver Level (More than 1 Cruise) Gold Level (More than 5 Cruises) Platinum Level (More than 12 Cruises). Benfits include:
~ Early Booking for shore excursions
~ Access to website and update emailse
~ Members-only line for boarding process
~ Welcome back stateroom gift
~ Savings on future cruises
~ Early booking opportunities for newest itineraries
~ Castaway Club reception with the ship's crew
~ Special shopping opportunities
~ Concierge priority boarding check-in
~ Special surprises just for Platinum members
~ Complimentary dinner at Palo
Child care/Baby sitting
Group babysitting is available for children 6 months to 3 years old at Flounder's Reef Nursery on the Disney Wonder (Hours of Operations 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m), and at It's a Small World Nursery aboard the Disney Magic (Hours of Operations Varies; please check the Personal Navigator while onboard for specific times), the Disney Dream (Hours of Operations 9:00am - 11:00pm) and the Disney Fantasy (Hours of Operations Varies; please check the Personal Navigator while onboard for specific times). Guests may book babysitting times online in advance of embarkation or may sign up their children on embarkation day. The facility is open for select hours every day. Rates and times are subject to change and space is limited.
This service is not complimentary and costs $9 per hour for the first child and $8 per hour for each additional child.
You won't really need cash on the Disney ships, but when you get to port, you'll probably want to have some money with you. In the Bahamas and the Caribbean, U.S. dollars and major credit cards are accepted almost everywhere. For European and Mediterranean cruises, bring traveller's cheques to the ports to exchange for local currency. On board our ships, all transactions are in U.S. dollars. You won't need cash while we're at sea because Disney Cruise Line has a convenient "cash-free" system on board the ship. When you arrive at the Walt Disney World Resort or at the Disney Cruise Line terminal at Port Canaveral, your signature will be requested for check-in. At this time you may also present a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover Credit Card, Diners Club International, Japanese Credit Bureau or Disney's Visa Credit Card), which will give you charging privileges at both the Walt Disney World Resort and aboard the ship. Any purchases on the ship, including beverage services, spa, salon services, photography, medical and laundry services, purchases from our retail shops, gratuities and any item or service of a personal nature must be charged to your room. All charges must be settled before your Resort departure and debarkation from the ship by cash, traveller's cheques, or by the credit cards mentioned above.
Dining dress requirements vary by venue or theme night on your cruise. In general, most meals are "Cruise Casual"—no swimwear or tank tops. Most cruises also have special theme nights with additional attire requirements. Here's a breakdown of these events by cruise itinerary.
On 3-night cruises:
- One cruise casual night—no swimwear or tank tops
- One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
- One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
On 4-night cruises:
- First night: cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
- One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
- One "dress-up night"—jacket for men, dress or pantsuit for women
- Final night: cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
On 7-night cruises:
- First night: cruise casual—no swimwear or tank tops
- Three additional "cruise casual" nights—no swimwear or tank tops
- One pirate or tropical night (deck party)
- One formal and one semi-formal night—formal wear for men: tuxedo or suit; for women: gown or dress; semi-formal wear for men: suit/jacket; for women: dress or pantsuit.
Dress for dinner at Palo (Adult only dining) on all cruises:
No shorts, swimwear, tank tops or blue jeans.
- Gentlemen: A dress shirt or jacket is required.
- Ladies: A dress or Trouser suit is recommended
Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, swimwear, tank tops, flip-flops or tennis shoes
Dress for dinner at Remy (Adult only dining) on Disney Dream/Disney Fantasy:
- Gentlemen: Dress trousers and a shirt are required (jacket is optional).
- Ladies: A dress or trouser suit is required.
Shorts, blue jeans, Capri pants, swin wear, tank tops, flip flops or tennis shoes are not permitted.
- Gentlemen: A jacket is required (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket), with dress trousers/slacks and dress shoes. Ties are optional.
- Ladies: Cocktail dresses, evening dress, dressy trouser suit or skirt/blouse are required.
Please no swimwear, jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
Dress for Meridian on Disney Dream/Disney Fantasy:
Prior to 6:00 PM
Guests are permitted to wear blue jeans and shorts inside of meridian. No swimwear or tank tops are permitted.
After 6:00 PM
- Gentlemen: A dress trousers and shirt is required.
- Ladies: A dress or trouser suit is recommended.
Please no shorts, swimwear, tank tops or blue jeans.
Entertainment-when are the performance times?
Whether you are assigned the first or second rotational dinner seating, the schedule has been designed to allow Guests plenty of time to see a performance of any evening's live show.
If you are assigned the first dinner seating time, you'll be able to go to the second performance of the live show; likewise, if you are assigned the second dinner seating, you'll be able to attend the first performance of the live show.
Your Personal Navigator, which is delivered each day to your stateroom, lists the activities for every day—by starting time. Every event and venue is clearly listed so that you can plan your day. Entertainment events are also posted at various spots around the ships, including the Lobby Atrium, as well as outside of the Walt Disney Theatre and Buena Vista Theatre.
Disney Cruise Line was the first Cruise Line that offered fireworks on board. Fireworks are on almost all itineraries (weather permitting) except Alaska sailings due to environmental reasons.
It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following, but gratuities are always at your discretion:
The gratuities are added to the reservation and paid as part of the cruise cost. We highly recommend adding the gratuities before final payment is made but can be added up to 1 week prior to the sailing date and paid in full at the time they are added. If the gratuities are not pre paid, they will be automatically added to the guest onboard account during the cruise. To pre pay gratuities please contact DCL reservations 0800 028 8955DAEC-5C92-4BAC-8186-E9815B892BB5.
If you wish to modify or make changes to the gratuity amounts or would like to pay in cash, please stop by our Guest Services desk, located on Deck 3, Mid-ship, at anytime during your sailing.
Please note, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge. (At the Walt Disney World Resort, 15% is the customary gratuity at restaurants and bars.)
Inclusive of your cruise
Rotational Dining- Rotate through 3 amazing restaurants with your servers also travelling with you.
Spectacular Themed Deck Parties that the entire family can enjoy, most of which end in Fireworks At Sea*
Complimentary 24 hour Room Service.
Meet Disney Characters in Person and capture those special moments that will last a lifetime.
Castaway Cay- Our tropical island paradise, created just for Disney Cruise Line guests.
20% Larger than Industry Average Staterooms designed with families in mind.
roadway Style Disney Musicals exclusive to Disney Cruise Line.
Unlimited Snacks, Soft Drinks, Tea and Coffee available on deck for no extra charge.
First Run Disney films at sea, some even in 3D.
Exclusive Adult Areas night time entertainment district, full service spa, adults-only pool, upscale dining and fitness centre.
3 Different Kids Clubs for all ages to suit all interests. The Clubs also have the longest hours of any Kids Club at Sea.
Wave Phones allow you to call and text other passengers without having to run up mobile charges - so you can always contact the kids, even when they’re off having fun.
Disney Cruise Line was the first cruise line to offer a dedicated space just for teens and almost an entire deck dedicated to children's area and activities. Youth activities aboard the Disney Dream, the Disney Fantasy, the Disney Magic and the Disney Wonder include fun-filled activity centres, spectacular Disney-themed live shows, pool and deck parties, and Disney Character greetings—engaging, one-of-a-kind activities found only aboard Disney Cruise Line ships.
• Complimentary kids club dining available for lunch and dinner means the excitement doesn't have to stop during the day.
• Operating times vary when we are in Port, so once you're onboard check the Personal Navigator.
• Youth Activities & Clubs: Discover something special at delightfully themed onboard youth clubs—where kids of all ages can participate in activities that capture their interests and siblings and friends are invited to play together without restriction.
• Character Greetings let kids come face-to-face with their favourite Disney Characters.
• Live Shows include original, Broadway-quality Disney musicals performed exclusively at the Walt Disney Theatre.
• First Run Disney films at sea, some even in 3D.
• Disney Cruise Line offers magically themed, freshwater pools for kids, families and adults on their entire fleet of ships
• Chill Spa aboard the Disney Dream is a rejuvenating spa offering special services—including facials, body treatments, manicures and more—designed for teens only.
Guest can check the Personal Navigator—the Disney Cruise Line daily newsletter detailing all there is to see and do—while onboard under "Just for the Kids" and "Teens" for times, locations and descriptions of activities.
In instances where a child is just under or over the age range (except if they are 18 and over), we advise guests to speak with a youth activities counsellor onboard the ship to discuss their particular situation.
Magical Port hole
The Magical port hole is available on the Disney Dream/Disney Fantasy. Only an inside stateroom will feature a Magical Porthole, providing Guests with a real-time view of the outside of the ship that reflects the actual stateroom's location—port or starboard. High-definition cameras placed on the exterior of the ship feed live video to an LCD flat-screen monitor with a stylized nautical frame cleverly disguised as a porthole.
From time to time, Disney animated Characters may make cameo appearances in the Magical Porthole. You never know who might pop by! You can turn the magical port hole off with a click of a switch.
Number of people in a stateroom?
A Disney Cruise Line stateroom is designed with the family in mind, providing substantially more space for relaxation than you'd find on most other cruise ships. Our staterooms can accommodate 3, 4 or 5 Guests and must include at least one adult. Most staterooms offer split baths, ample storage, natural woods, imported tiles and superior attention to detail
On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder; the concierge royal suite can accommodate up to 7 persons.
Onboard Spending Limits
Guests who are planning to settle their onboard account with Cash or personal cheque should be aware that while there are no spending limits onboard; however, each time the onboard account reaches a specific balance (based on the length of the cruise itinerary) the account must be settled. The Guest will be contacted to provide a payment on the account before any additional charges can be made to the onboard account.
Port Adventures, dining arrangements at Palo/Remy, Spa Services and registration for Youth Activities can be pre-reserved online by visiting the Planning Center and accessing My Cruise Activities. These services can be arranged once a reservation is paid in full to DCL and within the following time line. Below shows the amount of days prior to sailing that guests can log on to the planning center.
• 75 days before sail date: First time guest
• 90 days before sail date: Castaway Club Silver level guest (Sailed more than once with Disney Cruise Line)
• 105 days before sail date: Castaway Club Gold level guest (Sailed more than 5 times with Disney Cruise Line)
• 120 days before sail date: Castaway Club Platinum level guest (Sailed more than 12 times with Disney Cruise Line)
Pools and access
There are 3 great Guest pools aboard each ship:
• Families can play together at AquaLab on the Disney Magic and Goofy's Pool on the Disney Wonder, and Donald's Pool on the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy. Goofy's Pool has a constant depth of 4 feet; Donald's Pool drops down to 5 feet at its deepest depth.
• Quiet Cove Pool is exclusive to Guests ages 18 and older. It has a maximum depth of 4 feet.
• Mickey's Pool is just for kids and has a maximum depth of 2 feet aboard the Disney Wonder, the Disney Dream and the Disney Fantasy. AquaLab, a water-themed playground with a pool, is available for kids aboard the Disney Magic.
Every Disney ship also includes additional opportunities to get wet and cool off, including water play areas for young ones and a slide.
All pools are heated when the water temperature drops below 75 degrees. Additionally, complimentary lifejackets are available to children in the pool area.
The U.S. Public Health Service requires that all children be toilet trained before entering shipboard pools and spas. Young children who are not toilet trained are welcome to enjoy the fountain play area near Mickey's Pool/ Nephews Splash Zone (Disney Magic), designed exclusively for the enjoyment of children wearing swim nappies. The policy for the use of swim goggles, masks and snorkel tubes onboard our ships has been revised:
- Swim goggles fitting only over the eyes are allowed in all pools, hot tubs and slides, with the exception of the AquaDunk (Disney Magic), where goggles are not allowed.
- Masks covering eyes and nose are allowed in all pools; they are not allowed on any slides (Mickey’s Slide, Twist ‘N Shout, AquaDuck or AquaDunk).
- Snorkel tubes are not allowed in any pool or slide facilities onboard
• Reserve online and have your tickets waiting in your stateroom when you arrive.
• Tour times coincide with the ship's schedule and with other excursions, enabling you to take multiple tours. If the ship arrives late into port, we'll adjust our schedules.
• If an excursion runs late, the ship will remain in port or we'll arrange transportation to the next port of call at no expense to you. Independently booked tours require you to rejoin the ship at the next port of call—and pay all flight and hotel costs.
• All excursions are fully refundable for missed ports of call if an itinerary changes.
• Adventures include a wide range of activities for all age groups.
• Expert advice is available onboard with our experienced Port Adventures staff.
• Enjoy quality experiences at competitive prices plus added value with packages and extras not available elsewhere.
• The Signature Adventure Collection tours let you customize your time ashore with private vehicles or special experiences unique to Disney Cruise Line.
• Kids clubs onboard are open and fully staffed during operating hours.
You can order room service 24 hours a day. From 7:00 to 10:00 a.m., complimentary continental breakfast will be delivered to your stateroom upon request (excluding disembarkation morning). For Guests in Category 1, 2 and 3 staterooms, a full breakfast is served upon request from 7:00 to 10:00 a.m., with the exclusion of disembarkation morning
Rotational dining is the Disney Cruise Line way of making sure that each Guest experiences each themed dining environment on board. Every evening, you dine with the same tablemates and have the same servers as you "rotate" to one of 3 main restaurants (not all restaurants are on all ships): Animators Palate, Parrot Cay, Cariocas, Lumiere’s, Triton’s, Enchanted Garden or Royal Palace. You will receive your schedule when you board, which tells you exactly when and where to go, so you can experience the unique atmosphere of each restaurant, and be assured the wait staff who know your tastes are always there for you. Children's menus are available in the restaurants.
Each night, there are two dinner seating times. The first one is scheduled for approx. 6:00pm and the later seating time is scheduled for approx. 8:00pm with subject to change.
When you book your customers cruise, please request either the Main or Second Seating. If the seating preference is not available, an alternate seating will be assigned. Regretfully, requests for a specific dining time cannot be guaranteed. For the assigned time and restaurant rotation, please check your dining tickets located in your stateroom upon arrival. Every person in your stateroom will be at the table. At the time of booking, you can specify other people to sit with who will also be on board. If you don't, assignments will be made to fill in your table. Generally, adults without children will dine with other adults, while families dine with other families.
Disney Cruise Line has never allowed smoking in Guest staterooms. In addition, smoking is prohibited in all interior spaces throughout our ships and beginning November 15, 2013, smoking will be prohibited on stateroom verandahs. In an effort to provide a cruise experience that satisfies both our non-smoking and smoking Guests, smoking (including the use of electronic cigarettes) is only permitted in designated areas of the ship.
On the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, smoking is permitted on:
•Outdoors on Deck 4 starboard side from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. only
•The starboard side open-air decks 9 and 10 (excluding the Mickey Pool area).
On the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy, smoking is permitted on:
•Deck 4 port side, aft, the outside Promenade Deck from 6:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m.
•Deck 12 port side, aft, the outdoor area that is accessible through the Meridian Lounge
•Deck 13 port side, forward, by Currents Bar
Guests who are found smoking in their staterooms or on their verandahs will be charged a $250 stateroom recovery fee. This fee covers deep cleaning that includes air filter replacement, carpet extraction and the cleaning and replacement of drapes, comforters, blankets and pillows, along with verandah cleaning and maintenance.
While aboard the ship and on Castaway Cay, reach out to your fellow travelers via Wave Phone—an option that allows you to text and call without using your personal cell phone. From your Wave Phone, you can call any shipboard phone, stateroom phone or other Wave Phone, making it easy to connect with your travel party or new friends. In your stateroom, you'll find 2 Wave Phones. Additional phones are available at a fee.
A guest that would need a wheel chair during their cruise must have their own or rent one for their cruise from an outside vendor. Disney Cruise Line is unable to provide wheelchairs for guest during their cruise. If the guest needs assistance with embarkation day only, then they can ask at the port for assistance that day to board. If the guest needs a wheelchair at the end of their cruise for Debarkation, then they would go to Guest Services, Deck 3 Midship and advise that morning. A wheelchair would be brought onboard for them to use while they are debarking the ship and going through Customs.